The importance of timely, comprehensive, coherent and internationally comparable statistics on Balance of Payments (BOP), International Investment Position (IIP) and other related external sector statistics has become more apparent in the aftermath of the global financial crisis. The seminar will discuss the methodology for collecting and compiling these statistics in line with internationally accepted standards. Recent international developments and the CBRT’s experiences on many practical issues will also be covered.
• Overview of the IMF’s BOP and IIP Manual and Compilation Guide (BPM6)
• Practice of BOP and IIP Statistics at the CBRT
• ITRS and the Direct Reporting Practice of Turkey
• International Trade in Services (ITS) Statistics at the CBRT
• Foreign Direct Investment Statistics (Flows and Stocks)
• Overview of the IMF’s External Debt Statistics Guide
• The practice of selected external debt statistics using the CBRT data
• Loan-by-Loan Data Collection System at the CBRT
• International reserves and reserve adequacy indicators
• Communication of external sector statistics and recent international developments
• Challenges in BPM6 transition and implementation
Target Audience: The seminar is designed at central bank experts whose main responsibility is to compile external sector statistics such as BOP and IIP statistics. The seminar consists of a series of presentations and discussions which will provide the participants with an opportunity to discuss problems encountered at their institutions and also to share their experiences on the compilation process.